Free and Open-source iPad Instrument
This free iPad instrument is inspired by classic 80s DX synthesizers. A true labor of love, we have spent months lovingly crafting and sampling the sounds. It’s finally available today in the app store for FREE. If you can, please check it out and give it a good review. We’re all volunteers. This small favor to us will help us continue to make apps for you! 🙂 Thank you!
“Sounds LUSH and awesome!”
– The Sound Test Room
Thanks to today’s technology, we’ve gone back and multi-sampled those original classic sounds to make this beautiful instrument in the hopes of inspiring the next generation of music makers.
This is an app store demonstration of the free & open-source ROM Player code below. If you like the way the FM Player sounds, you can use the same code to make your own apps!
FM Player: Classic DX
- Classic presets, faithfully recorded from the original retro 80s Synthesizers: DX7, DX7II, TX81z sounds
- Over 50+ presets included, completely free!
- FX: Reverb, Ping-pong dealy, Auto Pan, Bit Crush, Stereo Fatten, and more!
- MIDI in (Play with a MIDI Keyboard or AudioBus 3)
- Filter: Low-pass Cutoff, Rez, and Filter LFO
- AudioBus 3 & Inter-App Audio (IAA) integration. Use these amazing sounds w/ GarageBand, and other apps
- Save your preset settings
- All knobs have MIDI Learn
“Presets sound authentically like the original hardware”
– Electronic Musician magazine
“Looks nice… Sounds FANTASTIC!”
Wow! It sounds fantastic! So crisp and clean. I had a few 80/90’s flashbacks on some of those presets. AudioKit is crazy for giving it away for free. Very cool! – Eros, AudioBus Forum
- Beautiful sound engine
- MIDI input for notes, pitch bend, mod wheel, after touch
- On screen “Piano” keyboard that can be customized
- Reverb, Bitcrush, AutoPan, Stereo Fatten, more…
- Analog Tape Ping-Pong Delay with cool speeding up/slowing down effects when changing time
- Lowpass Filter and LFO
- MIDI Learn knobs
- Written entirely in Swift 4 & AudioKit 4
AudioKit ROM Player
Sample Code using Swift 4 & AudioKit 4
AudioKit ROM Player is a completely free and full-featured professional sample playback instrument example.
This code can be modified to play EXS24, Wave, or Sound Fonts.
You can replace the included sounds with your own creations and upload to the app store! Record your Grandma’s Piano, a neighbor’s cat, or even your cousin’s Tuba. And, use this code to make an iOS instrument out of it.
Impress your friends. Build a custom instrument for your own use. Or, even sell your custom instrument creations. You’re free to use this code however you’d like. It’s free and open-source! Meaning, you don’t have to pay us anything.
Plus, AudioKit has all kinds of included pre-built filters, effects, and other audio signal processing classes to get you started and help you build the music app of your dreams.
More information and code:
ROM/FM Player Credits
3D Renderings by Kevin Loustau
AudioBus Integration and more by Aure Prochazka
Additional MIDI Enhancements by Mark Jeschke
This app is possible because of all the AudioKit contributors: AudioKit Contributions
Built with AudioKit:
Learn more about AudioKit
This is an open-source project intended to bring joy and music to people, and enlighten people on how to build custom instruments and iOS apps. All product names and images, trademarks and artists names are the property of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with the creators of this app, including AudioKit, AudioKit Pro, LLC, and the other contributors. Product names and images are used solely for the purpose of identifying the specific products related to synthesizers, sampling, sound design, and music making. Use of these names and images does not imply any cooperation or endorsement. Yamaha, DX7, DX7II, and TX81z are trademarks property of Yamaha Corporation. We appreciate their amazing work in creating such classic and inspiring instruments.